Sunday, October 14, 2007

Snowskin Mooncake - 冰皮月饼

i made these several weeks ago during the mooncake festival. Call me old fashioned but i am the type of person who rather die if i could not eat mooncake during the mid-autumn festival. I love mooncake, from baked to snowskin. I could only eat mooncake once a year so i am always looking forward to this special occasion.


This year, i spent a lot buying the mooncake mould, cookbook and ingredients at Le Apple. I was determined to make my own mooncake this year. I bought baked mooncake and made my own snowskin. People said that the design of the mooncake come out better if using a wooden mould. But wooden mould is so bloody expensive. I bought the plastic one and it still come out good.

I attempted twice with 2 different recipes. The first time was from a mooncake recipe book i bought. I must had done something wrong because my mooncake was rock hard after coming out from the fridge on the 2nd day.

The 2nd attempt was good. The skin is still soft after sitting in the fridge for 4 days. =x

Thanks to Aunty Yochana. My snowskin mooncake was a success. xD

Her recipe:

Ingredients for skin:
90 gm kao fen (kao fen is cooked glutinous flour)
10g tang mien flour
30g shortening
1 tsp fresh milk
180-200g water
100g sugar

fillings:
red bean paste or lotus paste

1. Boil water & sugar till dissolves. Cool in fridge
2. Mix kao fen & tang mien flour & shortening by rubbing them together.
3. Pour all the cold syrup (step 1) into step 2 & mix till you get a soft dough.
4. Divide dough into small portions according to your mould shape.
5. Dust your mould with some kao fen.
6. Wrap the divided skin with filling and press them into the mould.
7. Knock out lightly. The mooncake should come out easily.

I can made about 20 mini mooncakes with this recipe.

I made a little twist actually, hehe. I add in a tsp of matcha powder into the water. The colour comes out really nice. The match powder is so so so expensive. Cost $8 + for a small bottle at le Apple. sob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wah..dat matcha damn damn damn expensive ya...gees...

but it turns out very nice leh..its actually a very successful mini ping pi yea ping wo..good good..save the matcha till next year provided u had checked on the expiry date ya..haha..

btw is the shortening and teng mien fen cooked?? i cannot imagine we are actually eating the raw shortening and teng mien fen leh..

88

Sze Wei...again..hee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...